Friday, August 15, 2008

Friends & neighbours

Tinker:
* The reality of how family and friends provide care and support is complicated p.221
* When families are not near enough (proximity) or the family ties are weak (intimacy), neighbours and friends step in - example of seaside resort when mainly friends help each other, but some studies show that friends and neighbours help mainly for short times, or occasionally
* Friends are usually people of the same age, same cohort, same lifestage
* In a survey 70% of older people living alone said that they see one of their neighbours at least once a week
* Family contact - a 65year old has in average once a week contact with a family member

2 comments:

StephenBD said...

I'd forgotten about your blog until you mentioned it again. It is a useful record of your reading and thinking, so I would try to keep it up. It will end up an interesting document.

By the way, I cannot post to the blog, only comment on it (like here), but I suppose that is in the nature of a blog - that only one person can be its owner (unless you create an ID and password which everyone shares, all effectively pretending to be one person!).

StudyMarie said...

Hello Stephen,

I have set you up as an author, so you should be able to post your own entries. Obviously this hasn't been clear.

Also, I haven't been notified when you commented. In fact I needed to scroll through my entries to notice that anyone has actually commented...
It would be nice if you could see more clearly where, when and who has commented