Friday, October 2, 2009

What happens to our online identity when we die?


Just a couple of thoughts that crept up the other day in conversation with fellow researchers:

What happens to our online identity when we die? Apparently, Facebook "memorializes the account" as soon as they are notified about someone's death. People are still able to leave messages on their profile.

This also led me to wondering about those people who have online banking accounts, but haven't kept any paper trail about it. How will relatives know which online services the deceased person was using? When do businesses decide to stop the service?


Another thought I had was about digital identities, celebrity status and old age. Would it be fair to say that someone old can now become famous because they use applications like Facebook, Twitter or Youtube ? Does the desire to be famous reduce with age? I think Ivy Bean didn't mean to become famous, but I believe she enjoys the press and the attention about her - at least that's what the care home manager explained to me.

I have the feeling that this topic could be a PhD in itself.

No comments: