Monday, September 2, 2013

"Alive" - a charity working with ipad and older people

I have been very busy in the recent months with the final part of my practical PhD. In July I ran a participatory design workshop to discuss the future of the Teletalker. One of the outcomes is that the form of technology, albeit important, is secondary to its role within society. But the functionality must be kept simple. The ipad, as a more approachable technology for non-computer literate people, came up in the workshop's discussions several times.

So this reminded me to blog about Alive - a charity, which uses ipads to involve and stimulate older people in care homes, next other activities they offer such as reminiscence workshops.
As it was pointed out in my workshop during discussions, not all older people are in care homes - more needs to be done to address older people who are at home. Maybe Alive could also give ipad sessions for an older person at their home?

No comments: